Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Down in the basement

Yesterday, Alison came over to my house and we spent about 4 hours in my basement studio. We used my (obsolete) Tascam 4 track tape studio, just for practice. I also have a Lexicon Omega with CuBase down there hooked to a PC, but I'm still getting used to using it, no easy task. Rather than make Alison sit there and watch me struggle, we just went to the old-fashioned tape machine.

I was once again struck by her interesting approach to music. When we start work on a new song, she can always come up with something musical "off the cuff" that improves each time we practice it. After just a few times, she is amazing me with something so original and imaginative. So, she was laying down a cello track and I was suddenly keenly aware of how lucky I am to be working with her making music. We recorded "Tangerine" and "Georgia On My Mind". As we worked on Georgia, I kept hearing mandolin, so after she left, I added some. I really like the result.

1 comment:

  1. I listened to the Georgia mix after Mike added the mandolin. Alison's voice is so right for the song. And Mike's right -- the mandolin was just the thing to add.

    ReplyDelete